You are here: Home Acts and Policies
Acts and Policies
Rehabilitation Council of India Act, 1992
- The Rehabilitation Council of India was set up as a registered society in 1986. However, it was soon found that a society could not ensure proper standardization and acceptance of the standards by other Organizations.
- Act in 1992. The Parliament enacted Rehabilitation Council of India become a Statutory Body on 22nd June 1993.
- The RCI Act was amended by the Parliament in 2000 to work it more broad.
- The Act casts norms responsibility on the Council. it also prescribes that any one delivering services to people with disability, with out processing qualifications recognized by RCI, could be prosecuted.
- The Council has the twin responsibility of standardizing and regulating the training of personnel and professionals in the field of Rehabilitation and Special Education.
Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995
National Trust Act, 1999
The National Policy recognizes that Persons with Disabilities as a valuable human resource for the country and seeks to create an environment that country and seeks to create an environment that provides them equal opportunities, protection of their rights and full participation in society.
The focus of the policy is on (a) Prevention of Disabilities and (b) Rehabilitation Measures .
The salient features of the National Policy are :
Physical Rehabilitation, which includes early detection and intervention, which includes early detection and intervention, counseling & medical interventions and provision of aids & appliances.
Education Rehabilitation including vocational training and
Economic Rehabilitation for a dignified life in society